Come To ✠ Comino

Malta's Smallest Inhabited Island

✠ Introduction & Interactive Map ✠

Interactive Map of Comino


  1. Blue Lagoon
  2. Toilets and Shower block/Former Police Station
  3. Hotel
  4. St Niklaw Bay
  5. Tal-Hmara
  6. Bakery and Accommodation Block
  7. St. Marija Chapel
  8. Memorial to Salvu Said
  9. Horza well
  10. Camping site
  11. Police Station & Boat House
  12. Self-Catering Complex
  13. St Marija Bay
  14. Cemetery
  15. Fat stock/Pig Farm
  16. Battery
  17. St Maria Tower
  18. Palace and Hospital Block
  19. Bird Ringing Station
  20. Cominotto
  21. Crystal Lagoon

Named after the spice cumin that flourished in earlier times on the island of Comino the first written records show its name as Gazirat Kemmunah dated from at least the twelfth century and as Comino in 1270.

It is approximately 3.5 square kilometres (1.4 square miles) in area with a maximum width of 1.74 km. and a maximum length of 2.66 km. It was connected to Malta and Gozo but major land movements have created the current geography and geology. It is the smallest of the inhabited Maltese archipelago islands namely Malta, Gozo and Comino. There is also a very small uninhabited island Filfla off the south coast of Malta.

Comino currently has a population of four residents who are joined by a priest and police officer who commute to the island in the summer to offer services to the local community and visitors. The four residents are Salvu and Anglu Vella, Marija Said and Evangelista Buttigieg (Veggie), four remarkable individuals who are passionate and caring about the island. Salvu is a naturally gifted engineer and inventor.

Comino is well served with a number of paths that criss-cross the island, some in good condition others not. Walkers should be careful especially after rain or where gradient surfaces are covered with loose stones or grit. During the summer there are refreshment outlets situated at the Blue Lagoon (1) and the Comino Hotel (3) is open to non-residents during the summer season.

The island can be comfortably walked in one day but take a packed lunch and drink and in summer take extra care to be well protected from the sun as there is little shade across the whole island. Please respect the environment and habitat of the island and adhere to restrictions about walking on the garigue and cliff sides. The island is designated as an Important Bird Area by BirdLife International and Natura 2000 (founded in 1992) which reinforces recognition of the island as a centre of ecological importance and that it is part of a network of European/International nature reserves that merit special protection. A Birdlife ringing station (Stazzjon tal-Birdlife) is located on the island (19).

Garigue, by the way, is the terminology for Comino’s large expanses of limestone rock pitted by fissures and depressions which act as pockets for wind-blown soil and rain water and ultimately the germination and sustenance of Comino’s typical wild flowers and shrubs. A number of afforestation programmes have been undertaken to complement the existing trees. Around 1911 approximately 1,200 trees were planted and in 1912 more trees were planted including 100 carob, 400 fig and 1,000 vines. Since then other programmes have added Olive, Acacia, Tamarisk, Aleppo pines and more vines.